View Single Post
Old 27-02-2013, 09:24 AM
Screwdriverone (Chris)
I have detailed files....

With a goto one you can.

Otherwise, you will have to nudge it by hand, especially with the $499 ones as they don't have any motors or controllers that allow you to find objects, you will be star hopping to find things, by using charts and bright stars to find the area you want, then zeroing in with the finder-scope and finally finding the object in a large field of view eyepiece first before switching to a smaller and higher magnification eyepiece later.

So, you could save a bit longer and splash out on a goto version for about $900 more...a bit of a hike, but much better to find things, although astropics would be limited due to the field rotation that would occur....

One reason 8" dobs are suggested as the weapon of choice for beginners is that they are so easy to use straight away, it allows you to get into telescope viewing for relatively not much money and see MUCH MUCH more than the smaller and more complicated Celestrons reflectors and refractors etc. Plus, 8 inches or 200mm will get MUCH more light in than these smaller scopes in the suburbs where light pollution ruins a LOT of objects.

You can get tabletop 6" Orion Intelliscope Dobsonians that sit on a table and have a computer which TELLS you where to point to an object, so you could research these too. They also re-sell quite well if you decide this caper is not for you or you get infected by aperture/technology/astrophotography fever and want to upgrade to the bees knees later.

I bought a 5" EQ2 mounted reflector first for $550 bucks (still have it but dont use it anymore), then bought a 12" collapsible tube dobsonian with no goto or tracking ($1499 and sold that) and now have an 8" reflector on an HEQ5 Pro which I can use for visual AND Astrophotography ($1399-$1599 now) PLUS about $2500 for guidescope, guidecamera, CCD camera and accessories to help me get better photos. So as you can see, there is a VERY slippery slope which is easy to fall down if you aren't careful. My pics arent going to win any awards, but I am happy with the progress after about 2 years of doing this Astrophotography caper.......

Check out my thread here for all the little bits and pieces I recommend to get a beginner started and you can just substitute the $499 scope for the one I have in the thread. Also, the prices will be out of date, but are a good guide as a starting point to understand how much it will actually cost to get started and enjoy things from day one without too many issues. Remember, its a guide, not gospel

Cheers

Chris