View Single Post
Old 29-11-2020, 02:32 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Am I really PolarAligned?

I have PoleAlignMaster from QHY and I have found it extremely easy to follow the specified routine perfectly so in theory I'm perfectly polar aligned, but I don't really know because I don't see that PoleMaster tells you how good your alignment really is.

Once I finished the routine therefore I saved the view the camera sees and took it in to SG Pro to platesolve, expecting to see numbers that were very close to the pole. What I actually got surprised me:

RA 18:44:33
DEC -88 59 22
Angle 122.26
Scale 24.69
Confidence: 100

Now that suggests that on the surface, i'm close but still not very close in DEC and way off in RA, but how can that be? Everyone raves about PoleAlignMax and so long as you follow the steps carefully you should be pretty accurately polar aligned at the end of it.

Am I right in thinking the DEC should indeed be saying 90 and RA should be?? 0? 24? - Anyway, anything surely but 18? Remember the camera isn't in the telescope it is attached to the polar axis so should really be viewing dead on the pole? Am I missing something or is PoleAlignMaster simply not all that accurate?

Chris