View Single Post
Old 02-12-2021, 03:57 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Morpheus/XW5

I have a Pentax XW5. Beautiful (perfect) eyepiece as others have said. Also as others have stated, eye position and distance sensitive.

The link is to a detailed review by William Paolini about the Morpheus line. he has written the book, choosing and using eyepieces, part of the Patrick Moore, Practical Astronomy Series.

https://theskysearchers.com/app.php/...t-light-review

I have a Baader Hyperion 5mm and the Meade Series 4000 4.7mm. They are both very good value for money midrange eyepieces but it really depends on your budget. They are very reasonable performers for their price but naturally no competition to a Pentax XW5 which costs hundreds of dollars more. I have not looked through a Baader Morpheus so can't comment.

I use the XW5 more often with my 6" f6.9 (210x). I am still waiting for the night when the atmosphere is stable enough to use it in my 18" f5.5. I am not holding my breath. I have only owned the XW5 for 7 months and the 18" for 4 years. I have maybe a dozen nights over 4 years when I've been able to use a 7mm in the 18", 360X. As such, I'd expect that a 5mm in a 12"f5 (300x) would be infrequent in use but when the air is stable enough, you REALLY want to have that sort of magnification and not with a barlow.