View Single Post
Old 19-07-2021, 04:48 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
Hi Cliff.

Most of the time, the main bearings do not need replacing, nor do the worm drive bearings.

I usually pull mine apart and very carefully pop the seals out, wash them in degreaser then rinse them in hot soapy water before blowing them out with compressed air. Be careful not to let the bearings spin up with the compressed air, it could tear your fingers apart if it locks up and destroy the bearing as it was run hot with no lube.

When you have all the grease and crap out, use a PTFE style lube like Super Lube to re-grease. You do not need a lot, enough to lube the rollers and the race with as small bit to spare is enough.

Pay attention to where the worm wheels run on their shafts and clean these areas with a very fine wet and dry to get them as smooth as possible with out really removing any material.

Thoroughly clean your worm wheels and drives the same way as your bearings and dry off. Use a small amount of Super Lube again.

The real trick is to get the tension on the bearings correct, basically just enough to stop the shaft from floating length ways plus a tiny bit more. Then you need to set the worm wheel and drive lash once reassembled, and this is key to your success. Do it with a basic adjustment first, then load your mount with all your gear and finish the adjustment loaded.

Plenty of videos on You tube and I believe there is a guide floating around here on IIS that will be of assistance.

Good luck.
Good post. Amazing what preloading ball bearings can do. It sounds counter intuitive at first.