View Single Post
Old 23-10-2008, 12:22 AM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Robinson View Post
If you are mostly using the camera for astronomy , and rarely use it for daylight "happy" snaps and don't mind stuffing up your warantee , and are prepared to risk disassembling your camera (which may have cost over $1800 or more if a full frame if bought locally , which is not an insignificant amount of money for most of us , and a significant outlay ) , don't mind limiting yourself to only EF lenses to "undo" the mod with a dropin filter (also from Hutech ) , and the expense involved in all this.
Or have more than one camera. Go for it.

But - some of us only have the one good DSLR and it is used predominantly for "happy" snaps then the expense involved , jepodising the warantee , and deterioration in colour response for daylight photography ("fix" dropin and custom white balancing aside) is simply not worth the bother.
Oh Come on Ian...Live a little!!

I have grown to love the HA response from my modded 40D - the mod was a risk - granted, but done by a reputable dealer (overseas).
As for happy snaps - unless you're after studio quality on every pic, a simple CWB of a white sheet in ambient light seems to work reasonably well. I thought I would need some sort of filter to achieve decent results, but this hasn't been the case for me.
All up, modding my 40D cost me $238AU - postage/insurance both ways + the Baader replacement filter.
I'm very happy I did it.
If the same dealer offers a cheap cooling mod I'll be there!!

ps...back to topic, there is a cheap narrowband option for DSLR users on the Hutech site...
http://www.sciencecenter.net/hutech/haimage.htm