View Single Post
Old 07-09-2021, 04:38 PM
sharkbite
Look up!

Location: All around, Sometimes up, sometimes down, But always around.
Hi Bob...

When you say "Failing with alignment" do you mean that the programs crash? (or just fail to align?)

Either way, the OS is not likely to be the culprit here...

If you are think of ugrading machines - My AUD $00.02....

w7 is ok but w10 is far better. (and you can't really buy w7 any more)

There may be howls of protests from others, but all my machines
run w10 and have done so relatively flawlessly since i built them.

When the same machines ran w7, i had to re-install the OS at least once a year (i tend to try out a lot of new software, and the w7 registry always got screwed)

w10 seems to handle this much better, and also seems to handle memory management much better - meaning fewer program crashes and no BSOD's.

The included virus checking works great, and does not suck resources as bad as the third party stuff. This is important - my trash lappy that i use for capture has a processor that couldn't blow the froth off a beer,
but can handle 120fps from my camera no worries. It even runs DSS almost as fast as my 6-core monster.

as far as getting new hardware - well not knowing how old or what you have now, the symptoms you describe do sound like h/w or driver issues....and there are some cheap mobo/processor deals to be had (if you need an excuse ;-)) 16G ram to me is 'enough'. others may find different, but even running with all cores on my monster, memory usage barely cracks 8g. Might be different for image editing.

Hope this helps...