View Single Post
Old 22-08-2021, 05:52 PM
Eldest_Sibling (Alan)

With reflectors, Newtonians specifically, what you see is what you get: a longer tube, a longer focal-length and -ratio; conversely, the shorter, the shorter...

Click image for larger version

Name:	short, fast.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	279643

...short and compact, yet more difficult to collimate. The 150mm f/5, and the 127mm f/4(natively), are easy to carry, easy with which to wrangle, and easy to store away when not in use.

Then...

Name:	long, slow.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	279644

...longer, heavier, yet easier to collimate, and easier to reach the higher powers where exclamations of "Wow!" and "Look at that!" are heard. But, alas, the 150mm f/10(mock-up) and the 114mm f/8 are not so easy to carry, to wrangle with, and to store.

These days, we all want telescopes like the first two, and to match our "smartphones", but that comes with a price to pay: they're simply more difficult to collimate, hence all the more reason to learn and master the art of same, and with tools; not to mention quality barlows, 2x and 3x, but I did anyway.

For the lack of a better analogy, they're just like my favourite brand of cookies. The price hasn't changed, but they're smaller, and not as tasty as they once were. I then make do, with tools; bowls and spoons...

Name:	cookies.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	279646

Name:	collimating tools3.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	279647

The "cookies" are then ever so tastier, and utterly delightful.