View Single Post
Old 26-11-2009, 01:12 PM
Davekyn (David)
Loves Staring Into Space!

Your son is lucky to have such a caring mother. I'd be careful thinking that price reflect quality. Although this may be considered generally, there are times when manufacturers take advantage of this and skimp on quality control and rely solely on their name or otherwise their heads are so big they forget about quality control.

I have to agree with Peter, about that particular EP (eye Piece - however my 2inch Super View is a 42mm) although I use it on a 12" Dob. I own a number of 1/25" - 4mm/6mm/9mm/15mm/20mmSV & 25mm GSO plossels from www.andrewscom.com.au not to mention the 2XED Barlow and various planetary filters. I also own some 2" Low Power EPs from GSO which are very useful for a wider field of view...So much so, I am now looking into buying a 2" UHC filter.
I have not used the more expensive brands as I figured taking a chance on the GSO plossels would allow for a much wider collection. The reviews I read on GSO were not wrong...I'm very glad I went for a larger collection. It's easy to know what EP's to select when you've got years of experience, but not so when you don't. If your kid is just starting out, I would recommend not spending too much, so as not to limit you choice of EP's.
Absolutely nothing wrong with the GSO range- spend more if you want, but I highly recommend you buy 2 or 4 gso plossels at their budget prices! (in the case of GSO...cheap does not mean nasty!) If so the 2" 42mm SV Peter mentions is a great EP providing a first timer with a good wide field of view. My only skeptical point on the 2XED Barlow is that IMO your better off with "HIGHER QUALITY" EP to fully utilize it, as I find it much better to simply use one of the higher mag EPs owning so many. I do own a 12.5mm ED EP from AOE and when I Barlow it, it's much better than Barlowing a GSO, however I'm still glad I have a larger collection to learn what Object is best viewed at what field of view. Only now, I know for certain that I will be buying the right EP when spending LOTS of money on such items. Sorry if I'm confusing you...I do it to myself so often

I did the same with Filters (planetary ones I bought for next to nothing) and with the nebula filters (UHC highly recommended down the track) I did the same getting a standard Bintel one for $80.00 instead of $300.00 on another...SPECTACULAR VIEWS!!!

Binos I got from AOE...15X70 , After a few quick lessons my My 13 year old boy can use them easily to scan & star hop with...60mm may be a good size to consider...As for all the Sats you gave/ FMC (fully Multi coated) is fairly standard at most reputable places now...ED Glass (extra dispersion) is the next notch up, but once again not really needed for a kid starting out. www.aoe.com.au

Any of those 3 links given are all good places to buy from (especially if you buy budget to get more equipment)...I wish I had the spare money to buy my kid an 8" Dob, in fact I wish I had one myself! Good size to get about with yet see pretty much everything up there

All I am saying is don't under estimate the quality compared to price. As for the cheaper GSO plossels...in my opinion They are an EXCELLENT starting point for any beginner...practice will bring out more detail than first looking into the EP of a more expensive brand...as one gets better then they can get more excited over branding and so forth.

Just my 2c worth...I'd like to know how you end up going none that less and what your kid thinks when he gets the gear. Good Luck

Last edited by Davekyn; 26-11-2009 at 01:37 PM.