View Single Post
Old 09-09-2021, 04:55 PM
AdamJL

Hi Grady

Looks like we'll have a similar setup.

1. Your camera is the QHY version of the ASI2600MC with a better frame rate (and arguably worse drivers ... keen to hear how you get along with it!)
2. Mount? Solid workhorse. Easy to clear the backlash as well.
3. OAG, well I'm with Martin on this. I use a guidescope, but learning OAG now will set you up for future use when you need to shoot galaxies
4. Guide camera. Go the 290MM Mini. It's very very sensitive and provides excellent images to guide from.
5. Scope? Well I spent over 6 months weighing up my options. In the end it came down to the Esprit 120 and the Sharpstar 121. I ended up with the Esprit, mostly because the Sharpstar is not in stock locally.
- Focuser is fine, but expect some backlash that you need to cater for, and you'll also have to modify your Esprit to use it. I didn't like that idea, and instead opted for the Sesto Senso 2. Yes it's more expensive, but it's got almost zero backlash (so little that I don't even cater for it in software), fits to the fine focus knob and works a treat.

Things to note about the Esprit
- it's heavy. Bigger refractors are actually lighter than this thing.
- make sure you check the rings. Mine came with felt that didn't hold the OTA in place. Quickly replaced, but be careful
- the dew shield is rubbish, haha. It always droops. Doesn't impact imaging, but wait until you see it. I don't know how they thought it was a good design.
- the included field flattener is very good. If you get the dedicated reducer (0.77) it doesn't come with a manual, and it's not always clear how to fit it to the scope. I can take pictures if you buy it and need some advice.
- because of the weight, you might need another counterweight on your mount. You can use the extension pole that comes with the EQ6-R to get around it, but I don't trust those.

Here's my scope setup last night in my tiny backyard. Make sure you spend time cable managing!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20210908_073753169_iOS.jpg)
196.8 KB32 views
Click for full-size image (20210908_073729247_iOS.jpg)
204.5 KB38 views
Click for full-size image (20210908_073719289_iOS.jpg)
204.8 KB50 views