View Single Post
Old 29-07-2021, 08:12 AM
EvolutionaryPS (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Paul,
A few things need to be established before you decide on your astronomy journey
Rather than advise what you should or shouldn’t buy or start off with , the questions below will help decide on a general pathway to get started

Initial budget allowance ?
Will you be using your telescope at home in a semi permanent or permanent arrangement or be travelling to other dark locations ( portability) or both ?
Are you going to start with visual astronomy for the first couple of years with prospects of getting into Astrophotography later ?
Do you want to start with both visual astronomy and astrophotography straight off the bat ?
If using your telescope for either Visual or Astrophotography at home , your property details ( house with backyard , Apartment with balcony ) ?
City location, Suburban location , rural location ?
Do you have a restricted view of the night sky at your location ie: large trees , buildings etc...

Sorry to ask so many questions but they are all relevant in what choices you make in the hobby, how much you spent and what type of equipment you buy to get underway. The options available for this amazing hobby for both visual and Astrophotography are endless.

Hoping other folk on IIS jump in and offer some advice too

Cheers
Martin
Hi Martin, thanks budget is maybe $3,000
I'd use the telescope both at home and elsewhere eg a local park for less restricted sky view (perhaps less light from near by houses) and perhaps going further for darker skies (not sure where). I have a restricted view (30 - 50 degrees) between trees to the south in my back garden and an east to north west view to the north off an alfresco area upstairs at home or from the driveway although that view is impacted by the house. I'd need to carry the scope upstairs from garage to the alfresco balcony.
I think I'd start with visual astronomy to get used to it all but may look to AP later but I don't have a DSLR or anything that would take photos through a scope so that is another investment decision and so probably for later on. I am up near Hornsby in Sydney so light pollution is an issue. I also don't like the idea of having to make additional $,000s investment ie I'd like to have only one telescope for the foreseeable future. I just joined NSAS and will look to borrow their scopes once covid restrictions are relaxed and will look to do their beginners in the field program that they offer.
I'm interested in both DSO as well as planets, moon etc I guess in reality we all are.

Thanks again regards Paul