View Single Post
Old 22-05-2021, 08:42 AM
xthestreams (Paul)
photon disrupter

In my experience a Mac with KStars/Ekos/INDI will work great if you’re not running it on top of the OTA, otherwise a Linux based Raspberry Pi running StellarMate is awesome.

The SkyX is another worthy alternative, but driver support can be challenging and no automation. I was using EKOS for a year before “giving up” but that had more to do with wanting better automation support for cloud detection, pausing and resumption, the data from Ekos is as good as anything I’ve seen as Andy mentioned.

I’ve recently moved to Voyager on Windows and it’s reminded me why I left Windows and MSFT 20 years ago - there’s so much cruft and backward support for legacy ideas built into the OS that it’s by far the least reliable of the three setups I’d run (Linux, MacOS and Windows) - there’s surely a reason why most professional observatories run UNIX/Linux for pretty much everything.

Final point, if you plan to run your computer on top of tour OTA/mount then Apples otherwise brilliant idea of building the AC-DC power conversion into the Mini becomes an impediment, I’m no keen on the idea of running 240v cables through the mount!

So as much as I’d like to say Mac, Raspberry Pi for the win.