View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 09:25 AM
rally

Ray,

I agree it will have an interesting place, but I don't think it would open it up to "lucky imaging" on DSOs !
Thats the whole point of my argument about well depth - it wont be catching enough photons to record any of the faint nebulosity !

A short exposure will simply get zero photons from such a weak signal source or that the shot noise will the same or similar to the signal noise.
The only way to capture this sort of detail is a very long exposure.

But I agree a more holistic approach is going to be better than isolating one and trying to deal with that on its own - one that considers all the parameters and then apply them to the huge number of different imaging applications and variations in telescopes and local environments.

Its likely to be difficult to display since its a multidimensional puzzle, and once embedded in a hidden formula or buried in a bunch of tables less likely to be visually meaningful.

I wonder how much you could display in a 3D cloud plot - at least you would have three dimensions

Don't misunderstand my approach - I am not trying to hammer any particular chip in favour of another, on the contrary there is a need for them all !

Rally