View Single Post
Old 03-10-2019, 08:40 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInNZ View Post
That's really helpful info Greg. Thanks.
The quoted bit is a bit of a concern for me as I was thinking of getting a third party, full spectrum version. So, maybe not now.

Do you think that there has been much uptake of the EOS-R amongst astrophotographers/nightscapers ? I don't see it mentioned very often on the forums that I read.

Steve.
I am using an EOS R for nightscapes. I also have a Sony A7riii I use for that as well. Yes I am not aware of anyone else using one. I suppose most have their DSLRs and are not that drawn to a mirrorless.

The EOS R does not do RAW filtering like the Sony does which can result in some false green stars.

The EOS R is very good for natural star colours. Its quite low noise although the Sony is a tad more sensitive and lower noise but suffers from red/blue colour speckle in shadows of nightscapes.

The EOS R has a few more user friendly aspects like touch activated shutter, full touch screen, programmable sequence of longer exposures beyond 30 seconds.

I slightly prefer the Sony tilt screen, its more compatible with L angles. Sony A7riii has pixel shift which I find somewhat useful but you need a tracker.

EOS R is basically a Canon 5D4 and now with its firmware update it probably matches the 5D4 in every way and exceeds it at least in eye detect AF.

Greg.