View Single Post
Old 21-01-2009, 07:41 PM
bojan
amateur

Hi Frank,
I tried hot/cold pixel detection as you suggested, and results are attached.
I also included identically processed image, but with hot/cold pixel detection disabled.
Both attached images are crops from stacks of 2 frames, taken with INCR ON (that means, darks were taken automatically after each exposure and subtracted from image).
It seems the final image with hot/cold pixel detection is a bit blurred (the first one). Probably not important in most cases.
However, I agree that it is not necessary to have INCR ON, especially for longer exposures (I have it ON because those images were 1min exposures through 1000mm lens, so in this case it is not too time consuming..). The rationale for this is, darks are supposed to be used to remove hot and cold pixels, together with any constant features on the image. Noise, being random is dealt with by the greater number of light frames (by means of averaging).
The argument for INCR would be, darks are taken at roughly the same temperature (and they are really taken, and not forgotten like it happened to me in the past couple of times :-) )
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Screen_02_ 2009-01-21 19.33.jpg)
13.1 KB32 views
Click for full-size image (Screen_01_ 2009-01-21 19.33.jpg)
27.7 KB34 views

Last edited by bojan; 21-01-2009 at 08:30 PM.