Old 17-08-2021, 04:53 PM
Eldest_Sibling (Alan)

The worm-blocks of both axes...

Click image for larger version

Name:	worm-blocks.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	279343

They are identical to one another, and, again, therefore interchangeable. But I kept them separated nonetheless. I did not end up placing the RA worm-block onto the DEC-axis, and vice-versa. Although, I do suspect that there's a huge container of these blocks on the factory floor, and to be dipped into when needed for either axis.

One thing I noticed about these assemblies, prior to disassembling, is that they contain no washers, zero, zippo, nada, none that I could see.

That's a terrible shame, as I love to fill my mounts with all manner of bronze washers and needle-thrust and/or ball-type bearings, whether they need them or not. No, that's not true, of course, but I do place them where I think that they will do at least some good, with the performance, perhaps, better than before, but only after having inspected the areas, in relation to one another even, first.

A worm-block, exploded...

Name:	worm-nut tool4.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	279342

Nope, not a single washer to be seen.

That nut required a 17mm socket; gads. I also made a special tool, like the others, but extra special, and to adjust the threaded tensioning-sleeve...

Name:	worm-nut tool3.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	279345

But for these worm-blocks, I'm not certain if it would do them any good, but I did it anyway...

Name:	worm washers7.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	279346

...two for each worm-block. I took care of both at the same time...

Name:	worm washers5.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	279348

The washers lay within the outer, slightly taller rims of the mini sealed-bearings...

Name:	worm washers4.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	279347

Name:	worm washers3.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	279349

Can't have those steel bearings rubbing directly against the brass worm. I made buffers for them.

Last edited by Eldest_Sibling; 17-08-2021 at 07:05 PM.