View Single Post
Old 07-10-2011, 08:50 PM
LucasB (Lucas)

Officina Stellare - Hiper APO 130 with DSLR or 115 with CCD

Hi everyone,
I am very interested in (probably will be) stepping up to the Officina Stellare Hiper APOs. I am currently using an ED100, Canon 550D and broadband IDAS LP2 filter. Now what to do? There is the HiperAPO 130mm F6 and the 115mm F7. I would definitely get a reducer/flattener so this would make it F3.8 and F4.4 respectively. The dilemma for me is do I go the 130mm and use the DSLR or do I get the 115mm and with the $3000-3500 saved on 15mm of light gathering buy a CCD, Filter wheel and filters? I am mainly imaging from the city (I'm a new Dad so dark site is a little hard to get to at the moment!) Some of my thoughts are whether the F Ratio of the 130mm will allow me short enough subs to have low noise and overall good SNR from the DSLR. Or just go for a larger 24x36 sensor in a CCD? I could also have a look at an OSC CCD.
Some might say using one of these scopes with a consumer level DSLR is like puting a VW exhaust on a ferrari!
Also, I guess the 130 would be better for visual also if I wanted a "sort of" all rounder (if there is such a thing)
Would appreciate your input!
Thanks in advance,
Lucas

Last edited by LucasB; 07-10-2011 at 10:20 PM. Reason: more info