View Single Post
Old 04-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Waxing_Gibbous (Peter)
Grumpy Old Man-Child

Barry,
Fine choice of camera.
A couple of nay-says:
Unless you are going to be using it for other things, stick to a fixed-focal length lens. Zoom lenses, no matter how good, will really show their shortcomings in AP. Check out "The Backyard Astronomer" for a vivid illustration of coma in the 16-35 2.8L.
ther is some truth that the diff. between f2.8 and f4 is minimal in actual use. But for focussing I prefer the extra light.
The Cannon 35mm 1.4L is brilliant on the night sky and anything else. The 24mm 1.4 L is tack-sharp though it begins to display some barrel distortion (as just about every lens under 28mm will).
Actually the 28mm 1.8 (no 'L') is a corker as well and significantly cheaper.
For tripods; I'm not a big Manfrotto fan. I find their quick-release heads quite fiddly and mine took a while to break-in. But thats me. oThers have no probs with them.
I would highly recommend a head with an extension handle such as the Gitzo Series 3(?) with the video head or if you prefer geared, a Majestic head on Berlebach legs. Rock solid.
Last: Canon Australia will not honour warranty claims on cameras imported from abroad. Period. Companies that claim to have warranty support and service mean THEY or a third party, will service the gear, not Canon.
They WILL honour warranty claims for gear that you bought from an authorised dealer while you were overseas. Receipt required.
There is no way around this unless you're a $100,000 a year customer or can suck-up like crazy.
My dentist's brother works for Canon Intrnational sales and these are his words not mine.
Oh yeah... Before you shell out the big $$$$ for a Canon 105 Macro, try the Tamron 90mm Macro. About 1/3 cheaper and more than a match (I've got the 105 so I'm a bit peeved at this).
If your using the flash strictly for Macro, go for the MX 14 Ringlite on the Cameras forum. If not then the 480/580 EX should be more than enough.
Enjoy your new gear. There's something extremely satisfying about opening a new camera and mounting a bit of quality glass.
PJH

Last edited by Waxing_Gibbous; 04-11-2009 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Add stuff