Old 31-10-2019, 08:26 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi Bobby,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyoutback View Post
Hello Les ,

I have a 12" f/5 & have never looked through a big scope
If you get the chance can you describe the visual difference between your 25" & what I can see through my 12 " please ?

Cheers & Beers
Bobby .
Here's one very recent instance where I have revisited an object with the 25" that was previously observed with the 12": NGC 7814 an edge-on galaxy in Pegasus near Gamma Pegasi.

31cm x186: This is a fairly bright galaxy found to the NE from a couple of magnitude 9.5 stars that are aligned NNE-SSW and about 3' apart. Elongated in PA 150, it is a fat lens shaped halo. The boundaries of the halo are about 3' x 1.75', within which is a large round and slightly higher S.B core that seems about 1' diameter and does not rise further to the centre. Due S by 11' is IC 5381.
63.5cm x347: This is a moderately bright to bright, good SB oval galaxy elongated in about PA 150. Large oval or lens-shaped halo seeming 4' x 1.25', the outer halo is tenuous and of very LSB and no tips, a squashed oval with a slightly brighter, large, roughly round core about 1.25' diameter that grows within itself broadly and slightly to centre. There is a very narrow dark lane, almost a line that bisects the core-zone in the same PA as the galaxy halo. That dark lane isn't immediately visible at first glance and better seen at the higher magnification. There is a tiny weakly brighter spot-type nucleus dead centre adjacent NE to the centre of the dark lane. It is hardly brighter than the surrounding core. I attach an amateur image of this galaxy Image credit Tim Schott, Pegasus - 10" Third Planet Optics RC Truss - Nikon d810a - Losmandy g11 - Easton, Pennsylvania USA - October 27, 2019. N is left and W is up.

Here's another from this time last year: ESO 540- AKA Zwicky's Ring or the Cartwheel galaxy:

PGC 2248 (ESO 350-40) Gx Sculptor
31cm x186: Extremely faint – this is the famous Zwicky’s Ring galaxy also known as the Cartwheel Galaxy. Found nearly due S of the W most member of a very long scalene triangle of magnitude 10 & 11 stars which is just out of the field to the N. Very faint galaxy, a diaphanous patch of gossamer only 40" diameter. A magnitude 15 star is to the NW 2'.
63.5cm x260: Astounded and stupefied. The main galaxy of the three is actually seen as a ring! The ring is about 1.25' diameter and of very low SB but definitely seen as a closed loop with a slightly darker interior. The ring is slightly ovoid in PA 120. A magnitude 16.5-17 star is seen embedded on the W edge of the ring and below this trailing around for about 90 degrees to S are four very, very faint star-like spots occasionally visible. There is another star-like spot on the NE edge of the ring near where the other two companion galaxies are. PGC 2249 & PGC 2252 are <1' to the NE.
PGC 2249 Gx Sculptor
63.5cm x126: Both these galaxies that are companions to Zwicky’s ring are of similar appearance -- about 15" diameter spots of gossamer with no structure. PGC 2252 is probably slightly the fainter.
PGC 2252 Gx Sculptor
63.5cm x260: Both these galaxies that are companions to Zwicky’s ring are of similar appearance -- about 15" diameter spots of gossamer with no structure. PGC 2252 is probably slightly the fainter.

Iconic image by HST of Zwicky's Ring attached.

I looked at the Horsehead Nebula (IC 434 & B33) several times with the 12". It is still a difficult and indistinct object in that smaller 'scope. With the 25" it is visible using direct vision, no filter and "pretty obvious. You can even see the snout of the head distinct from the main body opf the dark nebula.

If I get a chance I'll find a few others.

Simple arithmetic tells you the 25" brings about 410% more light to the focal plane than a 12". That makes a big difference on most things faint & fuzzy.

Best,

L.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (73372201_10218470186718646_5663984896079560704_o.jpg)
32.3 KB41 views
Click for full-size image (1024px-Cartwheel_Galaxy.jpg)
189.8 KB51 views