View Single Post
Old 22-04-2017, 03:23 AM
AEAJR (Ed)

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotduss View Post
Here is the telescope I have had for 3 weeks "Astronomical Telescope 114mm Aperture 675x Zoom TL114A". I have been trying to observe trees in the daylight as well as the moon during night time using the 20mm eyepiece but I have only been able to see some sort of brightness and haven't been able to see objects. It seems to work as it gets totally dark when I place my hand in front of the telescope. Is there anything wrong with the telescope or am I doing anything wrong? . I have also attached a picture of my telescope.
Quote:
Hi and thank you so much for your reply. As you can see I have just started being interested in space and I have a lot to learn; thanks to my son. I had no idea this large cap could be removed; is that all I was forgetting? I will try again and let you know how I go. Hopefully this will work. Thank you again.
Quote:
I just saw the moon. You were very helpful, thank you so much. Is it possible to see the moon's craters with a 20mm or should I use a different eyepiece (12.5mm)?
In a short time you have made progress. Congratulations.

How about an update? We love to hear of your successes and glad to answer questions.

I will add a note about eyepiece to build on what Allan_L said earlier.

It appears you have 3 eyepieces. The higher the number the lower the magnification. Simple math as Alan described.

The long tube, the barlow, will give each eyepiece a second magnification. So you will have the equivalent of 6 eyepieces.

The normal way a Newtonian telescope displays images is inverted. Kinda weird on the ground but in space there is no up an down so it doesn't matter. you just have to get used to it so you know how to move it when you are following something.

Assuming Alan is right and that is a correcting image barlow than it is intended primarily for daytime use so the images display correctly. You can use it to get that added magnification at night but realize that things will display one way with eyepiece alone, the way we would normally use the telescope, then they will flip when you use the correcting image tube.

Let me offer this as a way to become more comfortable with your telescope.

Daytime Activity

Spend time during the day getting the finder aligned with the scope. Read the manual. Use a distant target. 100 feet is way too close. 1/4 mile away minimum. I like to use phone or power poles and target in on the cross arm.

(How to align a finder scope https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3zGgrY7sK8 )

Test the scope with each eyepiece. Focus on distant things. Get used to the fact that the image is inverted. Figure out how to move around with that reversed image. Do this during the day.

Find a branch or a bird or something that has lots of detail. Use low power then high power to see how much detail you can get. If you have a barlow, use it to get closer.

Notice how well the image is in the center vs. the edge. There may be some loss of sharpness at the edge. A little, or only the outer 10% is fine. If you start to lose significant sharpness during the day any more than that then there might be a collimation issue or some other issue. A lot depends on the type of eyepieces you are using.

(Eyepiece Designs - http://www.chuckhawks.com/common_eyepiece_designs.htm )

Take note of the difference in field of view between your eyepieces.

Move from one target to another and get used to refocusing.

Finding and tracking during the day

A very very high jet is perfect. A bird will be too fast.

Use your finder scope to get that Jet in the FOV. Now, using the longer FL, higher number, eyepiece try to pick it up in the eyepiece. You might have to lead it a bit to account for moving from the finder to the eyepiece. Let it fly into the FOV. This will also test how well your finder and your eyepiece are aligned.

Now track that jet with the low power eyepiece. How much detail can you see? How long does it stay in view?

Now do the same with the high power, shorter FL eyepiece. Note it will be a little harder to keep it centered as the FOV is now much smaller. Stars and planets move slower than that jet so they will be easier to track.

All of this will be valuable training for the night time. These are the same skills you will need but they will feel easier during the day. When it is dark you will already be used to doing these things.