View Single Post
Old 25-12-2019, 11:36 AM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Hi Alisdair,

As I'm sure you've likely been advised before there is no 'one scope does it all perfectly' option but, if you are looking for a scope that is relatively compact, does a fairly good allround job (within limits) I would recommend looking at either a Schmidt or Matsukov Cassegrain design.

You can go from 4" to about 14" (you can go bigger if you have really deep pockets & a weightlifting background)

If possible, go & look at what's around to ensure you find something that meets your objective size & weight wise; there are lots of options & pricing points..

I have, among other scopes a Meade LX90 8" SCT; when I use it I take it outside in two stages; Tripod which weighs in at about 11kg, setup & level followed by OTA which is permanently fork mounted & weighs in at about 15kg or so..

That should give you some reference to work from... obviously, the bigger you go, the heavier it gets & vice - versa... You can also look at single arm mounts that allow you to detach the OTA which enable you to look at which is more convenient for you in terms of moving it to your viewing position as well as storage options..

IMHO a small 6" SCT or Mak Cat would be a fine choice; sure, it's not going to show you what your 10" dob can in terms of light capture but, you will still get some fantastic views. Another compact option worth looking at is a 5" table top dob.. you might be surprised just how good they are; I have a 5" vixen Newt (not a table top but, same aperture) & the views are truly superb; If you want to see what I am comparing these to, just take a look at my signature.. I have way to many options to compare it to..

Cheers