View Single Post
Old 26-07-2021, 04:07 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesilver View Post
Appreciate the reply and also that good write up on APT
Will set up the Dithering as you have mentioned as you have had good results with that.

It is interesting how the procedure in APT for these dedicated astronomy cameras is very different from the procedure that i have been using with a DSLR ( for starting up and taking an image to plate solve with)

With my DSLR, i would have APT slew to a selected object,
I would set the camera to 2 second exposure,
Then i would click the shoot icon,
Then after it has taken the 2 second exposure, i would click sole in pointcraft.
The image would then be plate solved.
I then change the camera exposure to bulb.
Then select goto++ the camera then takes a long 2 minute exposure and solves the object by placing it in the center of the screen.

A little different from the procedure you have for the astronomy cameras which i am keen to give a try.

I am also wondering if what i have been doing with the DSLR will also work with these cameras.
Peter,
I’ve read the APT manual ( 180 odd pages ) and the DSLR procedure is definitely different from a dedicated astronomy camera
APT was designed for both cameras , they have different functions and purposes
I don’t plate solve so can’t help you on that front , I use EQMOD and Ascom Stellarium independently from APT to slew , Goto and find objects and use the live view screen on APT to frame my objects. I do use APT to dither my PHD2 guiding as both are Ascom and connect to each other , however I don’t use APT to launch PHD2 , I open PHD2 independently and guide independently, but APT does send a dither command to PHD2 based on the APT dither settings.
I only use APT to frame, focus and capture which does a great job
Cheers
Martin