Thread: StarAid
View Single Post
Old 20-06-2021, 10:27 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

At the moment, as much as I’d love to give this device a ringing endorsement, I simply can’t just yet. I have now spent three nights trying to get this thing work in vain.

I’m more than happy to accept I’m doing something silly but this device is extremely simple in essence. Connect to the guidescope and ensure it is focused, turn it on and do nothing else except image.

Plate solving is really hit and miss and completely confusing too. For example I click the ‘Recognise’ button and it starts capture and platesolving and 99 times out of 100 it will fail but if you go to another screen then back it tells you what your location as if it was successful all along! When it is successful I think great and click the polar alignment screen and it begins to platesolve again, but now if fails! Two seconds ago is platesolved the same patch of stars successfully - nothing changed but now it fails.

Random moving of the scope to different parts of the sky brings differing levels of success. If that’s what the problem is, I.e. it requires a very specific set of parameters, angles etc, it is simply too intolerant of regular conditions to be useful.

I look forward to hearing from Staraid themselves. I sent them the log file as re
Requested.

Chris

Last edited by OneCosmos; 21-06-2021 at 06:04 AM.