Thread: Best telescope
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2021, 08:45 PM
Tulloch (Andrew)

Personally, I hated manually looking for stuff, my life changed considerably for the better once I upgraded to a Goto scope. Since you already have a goto SCT, I think you will miss it.

The real question is, what do you want to look at? Is it just the planets and moon (and galaxies ?), are you looking at astrophotography as well as viewing through an eyepiece? If so, just the moon and planets? Galaxies? Nebulae?

The problem is that the "best" telescope for the planets is quite different to the "best" telescope for the DSOs. The 5SE you have now is good for the planets, the 8" will be better. An 11" is better again, a 14" is better than that, etc etc .

The SCT format on an alt/az mount (like you have now) is well capable for imaging the planets, but won't be optimal for imaging nebulae or galaxies, you need a faster scope on an equatorial platform.

If you have enough space, and don't mind the additional hassle of wheeling a large telescope around, then an alternative to the 8SE would be a 12" Goto Dob, which can be bought for $3000. (As astro744 already mentioned )
https://www.opticscentral.com.au/sky...telescope.html

You would get much better viewing and images of the planets, be able to see dimmer objects if you are in a darker site, but comes at the expense of portability and ease of use.

The real question is - what do you actually want to do?

Andrew