View Single Post
Old 30-05-2021, 12:47 PM
DJT (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybarry View Post
Hi David,

I can't find your fine field of view. You show three images of the putative asteroid as it moves across the sky plane, but where is that in the larger field ?

Sky Safari lists three asteroids in the immediate vicinity of IC3475 at the time of your image:
(691) Lehigh
(3082) Dzhalil
(493480) 2014 YZ49

Image attached.

Regards,
Tony Barry
WSAAG
Hi Tony, Thanks for looking into this. I did a plate solve in Pixinsight which solved the centre and the corners of the image. The Object is as far into the top right corner of the wider field of view as you can get and I have added the screen shot for info.
I just tried the Minor planet site and the form linked to by Gary but no matches found. I attached a screenshot of the form with the details of the query entered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Hi David,

Neat stuff.

Did you ever find an identification?

Did you try the MPC form here for known Minor Planet Identification?
https://cgi.minorplanetcenter.net/cgi-bin/checkmp.cgi

I did a quick check and inputting your date/time/RA/Dec on that page
provided this (column formatting lost in the copy so screenshot image
also below) :-

That is 209 arcseconds away from your coordinates but the MPC form
only permitted entry of the time to the nearest 0.01 fraction of a day -
14.4 minutes.

The form says 2017 HF65 is moving at 32.3 arcseconds/hour so it still doesn't quite fit with yours.

Are your estimated coordinates with respect J2000?

Good luck!
Thanks Gary. Work took over for a few days but back on this. I couldn't get anything like your response from the MPC form. Its possible I am using the wrong parameters. I have attached a screenshot of the form. The response was basically nothing was found though I used the latest plate solve from PI which I think are J2000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srmnm View Post
Hi DJT,

Hope all is well. Thanks for sharing the images. Looks like you have indeed spoted an asteroid. One method used to properly identify a specific target is to resolve it using astrometry software. Astrometrica and Tycho are both able to do this.

By checking Minor Planet Center you're definitely on the right path!
Let me know if you want assistance resolving it.

Happy to help.

Thanks,
Will
Hi Will . Thanks for this. I will download the Astrometrica software this week and see what's there. Currently on my iOS machine.

Its a really interesting exercise and with everyones help I am learning heaps.
Whats interesting is that it feels like something an astrophotographer could just "do" as part of processing as the data is there, just needs a few minutes to subtract one light from another and visually scan it for candidates.

Of course the rate of discovery has increased exponentially with the automated surveys that have come online over the last couple of decades but still, an interesting exercise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 11.46.55 am.jpg)
203.6 KB19 views
Click for full-size image (Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 12.17.23 pm.png)
82.4 KB21 views