View Single Post
Old 08-09-2021, 12:49 AM
astro744

Windows 11 release is imminent with Win 10 to be retired 14 October 2025. Win 11 demands Microsoft TPM 2.0 (hardware security feature).

If shopping for new PC check that it is Win 11 ready and if so will likely be free upgrade when available. Win 11 requires 8th Gen Intel Processors but reports are that older machines may find the update available in time for 7th gen but no guarantees on that. I think current machines are 11th gen. (Not familiar with AMD processor requirements)

Of course 2025 is still 4 years and a brand new Win 10 PC would be a great upgrade from 7. When Win 10 was released I took the free upgrade offer from Win 7 and opted for the clean install only to find there were no drivers for my film scanner and multifunction laser printer. (Still none!). Not only that the application software for this hardware was not being developed for Win 10. So I switched back to Win 7.

About a year later I tried the upgrade again but this time as an upgrade not a clean install and to my surprise everything I had installed under Win 7 continued working under 10 including my film scanner and multifunction laser. (And this hardware still going after 13-15 years, Win XP/Vista vintage). The film scanner is great for 35mm slides and the multifunction has toner cartridges that go over 5 years before needing replacing that’s why I’ve kept them both.

Provided you can get drivers for your hardware and your software is Windows 10 compatible then Win 10 is recommended over 7. If shopping new get something that will support 11 and you should be set for a while.