View Single Post
Old 05-07-2021, 01:30 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
You can also get LPG powered fridges but they are a bit expensive. The startup draw of fridges motors is high.

You want water pumps that have minimal startup draw. At my home I couldn"t run a regular water pump with a 4 KVA generator as the start up draw was too great. I got a new water pump which is electronic and the generator does not even blip when it starts up.

My water pump at my dark site does draw a bit when it starts and the generator revs up to match its draw but copes. So they vary a lot. You can also get a 12 volt pump but water pressure there may be the issue.

Greg.

Also why don't you setup your gear as setup and pulldown rig or put a tarp over during the day if you have 3 clear nights forecast. Break out the AP152 eh?
Hi Greg, remember this place was set up for off grid and pretty well too, but back in 2008..so it is just aging now and in need of an up grade and expansion. The previous owners used the electric oven, single draw F&P dishwasher, a normal medium sized fridge and a front loading washing machine, all the mod cons, they just had to not use them all at once or use the 6kva generator...the solar panels are a little small and as the system aged the generator is required more and more especially in cloudy weather...not like this weekend, plenty of sun, the batteries have been full by midday..but it's just me and I am being pretty conservative with power

Re the astro gear..all in good time, this weekend was just about checking the site out and enjoying an astro-stay up in the mountains, I'm here by myself , so I'm happy it looks like I will get three nights in a row to have my solo star party. The 12" dob is perfect for this. I will get the observing field and observatory under way in due course...have a few normal things to do first. Will likely keep imaging from Terroux Observatory for the rest of the year and just enjoy this place and get to know it, routines upgrades etc...

Lots of exiting times ahead...

Mike