View Single Post
Old 06-06-2021, 10:25 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulloch View Post
Really impressive, love the video. I also like how the stars come out at totality, excellent work

Seems you had an issue with the still though, don't you hate it when something else gets in the shot and ruins the image?
Thanks Andrew. Yeah it wasn't my idea. Got to blame peter_4059 for that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrograde View Post
Great stuff Marc!
How did you account for the changing light levels through totality? Did you just adjust the exposures as you went?
Thanks Pete. I had an interval of 20s in between each shot to to occasionally refocus, recenter and change exposures and ISO. I started at ISO 400, 800 and 1600 during totality then ramped it down again on the other side. It's quite easy to check the shot in live view and look at the illumination. Then you change the exposure settings gradually then ISO. I'd say 80% of the eclipse I was watching TV inside and checked sky safari. I was out only for the period near totality as I needed to change exposure settings every 3 subs and also push until I saw some stars. That one was harder than the last because it didn't go very far into the shadow so the limb was still very bright.

I'm working on another widefield video showing the moon motion over the star field as well as the motion of the earth shadow. It is very dynamic and another perspective that really shows why the totality was so short and a near miss.

Last edited by multiweb; 06-06-2021 at 11:11 PM.