View Single Post
Old 25-04-2018, 08:00 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
How do you make an image pop/stand out and not look flat?
Hello Lewis,

To me it would be more about image capture choices and capabilities of the equipment & use, rather than image processing, but perhaps you meant for data you'd already captured..... ??? If that's the case then Alex's suggestion of defocusing (selectively in software) the background or selectively sharpening /increasing contrast on the subject is on the money and used in normal photography (maybe not Astro) to create POP, where there has been little ability to control the depth of field to isolate the subject during shooting. Of course controlling the depth of field is not really do-able for infinity focus to isolate a subject, so selectively defocus. Why not? ..... Well it would probably be regarded as not-the-done-thing to alter the data in that way. Not Kosher perhaps.

Out of interest, Selective defocus is used in higher end phones (not that they're any technological goal*** to strive for, albeit that they pack alot in to a small device at increasing levels of quality) in order for a studio portrait look, typical of short to medium telephoto fast lenses used wide open. Some are even using multiple lenses for the same effect.

*** - I should be careful what I say - I've yet to read a comparison on a 40Megapixel Phone Vs Canon DSLR, Who knows?

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 25-04-2018 at 08:22 PM.