View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 12:52 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

The Southern 600?

Hi John,

Thanks for posting your wonderful list. I guess if you could see all these in say a 12-14" 'scope, you would be entitled to call yourself an experienced observer -- and now a thought occurs to me.

Perhaps this should be seen as a southern observer's equivalent to the Herschel 400? I wonder if there is a way we can (like the Herschel 400 or the Herschel 800) organise perhaps through IIS or elsewhere a certificate for completing (you have to submit observing notes for verification) a list like this.

Perhaps with just a few small modifications (additions and subtractions), it could be bought down to a 10" level (several are a very, very tough ask in 10" -- if not impossible like the Reticulum Dwarf) which would allow an even larger number of people to participate.

Of all these in the list, I believe I'm only missing a few. A couple of the variables and the Dk nebula in Lupus SL-7. I'd never heard of that object before. I've just had a look on the DSS/Megastar and it is a striking object very worthy of inclusion. Will take a look at it next new moon if the weather allows (if ever).

Just a thought.

Thanks very much for putting it up.

Best,

Les D