View Single Post
Old 22-05-2021, 01:31 PM
Craig_

A Ha filter will see photons strike the red pixels on the bayer matrix, an Oiii filter will hit G/B and Sii will hit red. Where you run into issues using a OSC for this is that you're only ever using, at most, 75% of the pixels in the bayer matrix to gather data so it is very inefficient (Remembering that they will have two green pixels.) Ha isn't so bad even though its only using 25% of your pixels since Ha is abundant and bright, but I'd expect Sii signal to be a challenge on an OSC and require very long integrations.

In theory if you used a single bandpass, good quality narrowband filter on an OSC, you should have no signal in G/B when imaging in Ha or Sii, and no signal in R when imaging in Oiii. In reality there may be some leakage between channels though so I'm not sure it would be as simple as there being 0 data in the opposing channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuts View Post
My confusion arises because of the following. On a mono camera there are no channels to extract, you are supplying the 3 channels from 3 separate filters. If you put a filter on a OSC and extract channels then essentially you are saying Ha is Red, O3 is green and SII is blue. So when you combine what do you get, an RGB image or some sort of Hubble Palette image?
Sii is red wavelength light, same as Ha, so if you had a "tri-band" OSC filter you'd be blending Sii and Ha data together on the red pixels of the bayer matrix. If you assign Ha to red, Oiii to green and Sii to blue you will have a HOS palette, but to capture true Sii data with an OSC you would need a dedicated Sii filter otherwise it will just mix up with Ha on the bayer matrix. Not sure if this answers your question though