Thread: magical photons
View Single Post
Old 13-06-2020, 12:24 AM
bgilbert (Barry gilbert)
barryg

G'day Ray

How strange it is that Maxwell is accused of not predicting black body radiation, it is also true that no quantum mechanic (QM) predicted black body radiation either. The fact is there is still no satisfactory explanation by anyone. Planck in desperation tried something that worked, he did not believe it at first and never found a successful explanation. Einstein and Planck disagreed on whether quantization was just in the atomic material or in the field, I believe that it has not been resolved to this day. Black body radiation in no way is at odds with Maxwell. Physicists have spectacularly failed to predict black body radiation, particularly using the equipartition theorem. Classical physicists are at least trying to resolve the mystery,
Prof. Timothy Boyer and other proponents of stochastic electrodynamics (SED) claim to be able to derive Planck's constant classically. QM’s do not understand why the electron orbiting the proton does not crash into the proton in about 5ns. Surprisingly Maxwellian mechanics do. There are several interpretations of SED just as there are for QM. My money is on SED without Lorentz invariance, it is my theory as far as I can tell at the moment and is as yet unpublished.

Cheers
Barry