View Single Post
Old 05-05-2022, 09:32 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave882 View Post
Thanks Steve, Adam, Martin. I appreciate the comments.
Yes noise reduction/processing is something I haven't got my head around yet. At the moment i'm just using APP to stack and a couple of basic post processing operations. On this one, I did background and colour calibration, star reduction, and then stretch, contrast, saturation, sharpen sliders. My only solution for noise reduction at the moment is more data, but with so few good nights thats a tough ask. And then I get like 100 ads for Topaz in my Facebook feed...it like they know me better than I know myself.

Here is the link to the large 224mb TIFF file.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArpSiLT3VkGHiPI6...MqoeQ?e=JY3ABv

Could you please let me know if the noise is still as bad? I think I've really buggered up the image quality of some of those crops by doing a double size reduction but let me know what you think.

I tried to import the raw stack (linear) into Startools 1.8 and attempt some more advanced image processing. I've probably spent about 15-20hrs playing with Startools (on a few different images) and am yet to be able to get an image that is as good as what I can get straight out of APP. I know it's probably something I'm doing wrong but even when I try to copy the walkthroughs / procedures there's something thats just not working and the end result lacks detail or any clarity. I'm not giving up but just bit by bit I'll keep working on it and I'm sure eventually I'll work it out.

Cheers guys
I’m happy to look at your ST workflow if you wish
Also to get the best out of Startools you need to comply with the attached prerequisites otherwise it can’t jump through hoops for you
Also maybe try stacking in Deep Sky Stacker ( free )
Your stacked file inclusive of Calibration frames is just as important as your lights using any processing software
Cheers
M.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Startools - Data Set Prerequisites.pdf (63.2 KB, 65 views)
File Type: pdf Deep Sky Stacker Basic Procedures.pdf (27.9 KB, 191 views)