Thread: AstroDon
View Single Post
Old 17-02-2021, 07:08 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Has anyone got an opinion on the Baader filter sets? I am plotting the move to mono but to be realistic, Dons or Chromas are probably a bridge too far cost wise. On the other hand I have seen too many halos with cheaper filters and they would annoy me as much as the ASI1600 (And other cams using the same sensor) and the micro lens artifacts, and those stopped me ever considering buying one.

My current thinking is to spread the money well out by buying a filter wheel and filter set and for now use it on my ASI2600MC, which proved remarkably capable with a HA filter in front of it. Then when budget allows it should be a reasonably simple matter of swapping the filter wheel on to the mono version of the same cam. The Baader sets appear to be LRGB-HA-OIII-SII-C which would work out for me well as I could use the clear in place of lum (The ASI2600MC has what amounts to a lum filter as the chamber window) to keep RGB and NB parfocal. It was an interesting experiment last month to put a HA filter in the train but I would not want to be tearing the train down every filter change.