Thread: [SOLD] SBIG ST2000xm CCD Camera
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2020, 06:35 PM
VPAstro (Andrew and Cam)

Hi Manoocher,

Thanks for your message. When we moved from DSLR (canon 600d) to this camera, it enabled us to produce substantially better images than we would with the dslr. We found the CCD to be more sensitive, and able to handle noise a lot better due to cooling. It is, however, a very big learning curve to image with a mono CCD. With a DSLR, you capture one set of frames and process them, with a mono CCD camera, you need to take sets of frames for each of the filters (LRGB). This means imaging sessions can be up to 4 times as long, stacking a calibrating each of the frames taken with individual filters, and then combining and processing to achieve the final result. I feel that our images are far better than what we could have produced if we had have stayed with our DSLR. I have never had any failures with the SBIG, and it has performed flawlessly for the years that I have had it, and neither did the original owner who is also on IIS. Keep in mind that this is an older camera, with a smaller sensor than your APSC sensor and really requires a lot of work to produce good images, but it can be done if you look at our images on the flickr link in the original post.

Andrew...

Last edited by VPAstro; 05-10-2020 at 07:29 PM.