View Single Post
Old 28-12-2021, 03:14 PM
Stev0 (Steve)

Peter and Martin,

Thank you for your thoughts and comments thus far.

A few things I have done:
1) Cables: Changed out all cables and also tried connecting through a high quality ST4 cable
2) Power: I have eliminated that this is an issue now. I have booted both on my Lithium 170AH power supply and also tried through my mains power supply with the same issue
3) Fresh Install: I have tried a fresh profile and even gone as far as using a fresh install on a different PC.. complete setup with the same issues
4) EQMOD Disconnecting: Yesterday, I had the same issue plague in a 4 hour session with my Astro Coach, we couldnt work it out. Tried diff USB, ST4 etc and then loaded up GS Server as an alternate to EQMOD. interestingly, no drop outs at all. Needs more testing but it appeared more stable. It appears to me that this app is not as widely used by many as yet but it looks fantastic (from a user interface perspective)
5) GS Server: On the topic of GSS, Interestingly it wont connect through to PHD2 at all. PHD2 will connect to GSS when completing a star cross test it pops up the "PulseGuide command to mount has failed". I have also tried this on two different computers and watched a number of config youtube videos with no solution. I have also logged onto the GSS forum and logged a note to see of the developer has any idea why PHD2 is not connecting to the mount through GSS.
6) EQMOD: I have successfully run the EQMOD star cross test but it looks like it only progresses in one direction with all N/S/E/W testing. I have a video (which is long) but 'mock star' i setup in a dark room moves in the same direction with each test. I also cannot move the mount with PHD2....where the mount does move in EQMOD
7)PHD2: I have jumped on the forum and asked Bruce for some help. He has sent me a link to a new testing script which I have just run and sent back to him. Will see what he comes up with....
8) Sidereal tracking: also found that when I load EQMOD, it automatically doesnt enable sidereal tracking. When I tick this, it works a charm in star cross test. Without, it doesn't work. I thank Bruce from PHD2 for this gem!

With all of the above attempted, I still don't have a solution but I am most certainly feeling a lot more comfortable working through the applications and trouble shooting which is a small benefit of trying to solve this enormously annoying problem. @Martin, I have tried most of what you have said other than some of the steps in the procedure bit in your email. I dont think however that these are going to help me at this point unless I am missing something key here...to me, it appears that there may be something wrong with my mount. I suspect that it could be the belts....I need to speak to Testar tomorrow re this (when they are back open). My suspicion strengthened on this when setting up on a new PC and finding the same issues (noted that it could still be a user error though with settings etc )

thank you again for your support. I feel some comfort in others telling me that I have been dealt a sh&t sandwich on this one and it has not been as hard for others.

THanks again, Steve