View Single Post
Old 29-12-2011, 08:11 AM
acropolite (Phil)

I bought the Epson R1800 (A3+) on a cash back deal a few years ago, no problems at all getting the cash back. No real hoops to go through, I seem to remember having to send in proof of purchase. The Rxxxx series printers are capable of producing as good a result as any lab, if your have the urge to print your own images and are happy to wear the costs then the R3000 would be well worth considering. I found that printing anything smaller than 8x10 isn't cost effective, average cost for 6x4 postcard using quality paper is around 50 cents per print, if you only want a couple of prints for SWMBO then that's probably cheaper than hopping in the car to get inferior output at HN or similar.

I'm not sure if it's still the case, but I had a lot of trouble trying to get PS to control the printer, in the end I found that Canons DPP did a perfect job when printing using it's interface as did Epsons own driver with PS, but the PS printer adjustment controls simply wouldn't produce consistent results. I'm not the only one who had this issue, a mate with the same setup had identical problems.

I believe the issue was simply one of Adobe not putting sufficent effort in to their driver interface and not the fault of the printer and in my case provided that I let the Epson driver manage the output all was well with PS.