View Single Post
Old 17-06-2021, 03:52 PM
evltoy (Wayne)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyRene View Post
As I stare out of my window in Sydney and contemplate another lost night of imaging due to clouds, it got me wondering whether astrophotography is the worst "cost-per-use" hobby ever. Given how much we spend on equipment and how many times a year we actually use it, the ROI is pretty damn low.

Thoughts?

Rene
I'm into RC helis and not the cheap crap you find at K-mart. Each large bird(5) cost me about $800-$2000 to build.

You cant fly them on very windy days (pending which one I'm using) and you now have to fly at a club $$$.. Those knobs with drones killed it for everyone.

Anyways, maintenance is every 50hrs if all goes well with no crash's and can cost $50-$200. Battery charge can cost when you run a few large ones and run time is only 6mins per pack.

To learn you need to fly and the amount of crash's you have while learning is crazy. You would pay a heli 5-10times over before you can say you can fly and thats after putting in 100's of hrs in. Also the tech is moving so fast now that you buy high end and 6 months down the road its worth nothing.

Astrophotography is a walk in the park and is perfect for those slowing down . No stress & not as much money needed. Just kick back and wait for a good day... in the meantime research.... thats cheap!

I wont get into my other hobbies fishing/boating or MTB riding/racing

Cheers
Wayne