View Single Post
Old 23-06-2015, 09:04 PM
Alasdair

Getting closer to actually buying...

I first asked about buying a telescope some months ago, then temporarily put that idea aside: work was too busy, and the skies (in Melbourne) were cloudy, or it was too bloody cold. However! I have a birthday coming up, and my wife has promised me a telescope - which I'll actually buy myself - and family finances being what they are we've agreed on a budget of $1000.

Portability will be the thing: it will live in a backyard shed, and be brought out for observing.

I notice that Andrews Communication are selling a SkyWatcher BD 150x750 "with EQ3 mount and dual axis motor drives with hand controller" for $799 which seems like a very good deal, unless the mount and drives are cheap and nasty. Quite frankly I'd rather get a solid mount without drives than a wobbly mount with drives. They're also selling a SW BD 200 x 1000P (8") OTA "with the Bresser EXOS2 strong equatorial mount and stainless steel tripod" for the same price.

I like the idea of spending a bit less than $1000 on the basic setup; then I'll have a few dollars left over for an eyepiece two, and a couple of filters.

However, I don't want to buy something to find it's wobbly, hard to set up and position.

I'd welcome any thoughts and advice!

Thanks!