View Single Post
Old 02-02-2021, 09:44 AM
AdamJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronut07 View Post
Howdy Adam

So I have the following on my mobile rig
I purchased this mini pc from Amazon it is 12VDC

Beelink Gemini X55 Windows 10 Mini PC Computer 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Pentium J5005 4M Cache, Up to2.8GHz, Support 4K 60FPS Play, Gigabit Ethernet, D https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B07Y4ZT..._WHsRAEsGstJSn

I also run a Pegasus astro pocket Powerbox advance to power mini PC, camera, dew heaters & focuser

I run win10 pro & remote into mini pc with either iPad or laptop that I just have Incase iPad connection fails

Attached is pic

Cheers
Ben
Nice one, Ben, that looks great. Also, can I ask what scope is that? I'm looking at a 130 this year or next, which looks around the same size as that.
Interested about the iPad remote connection failing, does that happen often? That was my only worry with a NUC... if the remote connection fails, getting into the machine would be an issue which would require more gear to take along

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
That is an estimate on my part. To really know I would need to test it properly, the half hour probably came from using the NUC directly on 12V (So it would fall over earlier than using the boost converter for 19V) Just remember in my case the battery is not intended to "Run" the rig, only to keep it alive through power bumps. We are at the very end of the line feeders wise for our power supply, our reliability is not what I would call great (And I work for the distribution business we are supplied by)
Okay thank you, Paul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
I have a few NUCs for various purposes, mostly because they’re cheap and versatile.

I’ve not had a problem with any of them running off 12v. If you don’t need the processing power, then look for one of the Atom based older generations, as they really sip power - I measured mine at 2W. The Atom models are now out of favour and so dirt cheap.

The Core-based ones can be pretty reasonable, but not that low. And once you add a nice SSD and memory to it...you just have to watch whether the cost hits your target.

FWIW, you don’t need a fast machine to do deep space imaging - a faster unit is really only useful if you do processing on it as well.
Fantastic, thanks Dunk. Glad I can run a low power rig on 12V. That's my aim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
I would agree with that (Not needing a very fast machine) I went with the i5 new for my initial one to make for snappy plate solving, but on the second one I got a near new i3 off ebay. Blind solves take noticeably longer but not offensively so. near solves with PS2 are nearly as fast, the background estimation takes noticeably longer but that is about it. Though I have paired the new camera (50mb files compared to 22mb) with the i3 not the i5 as that is just the order I bought and built them.
Good point on platesolving! I've set NINA up to run ASTAP first and Astrometry.net as a backup. Astrometry is the better blind solver but it's all done online so no local resources required. ASTAP though, I've never used it in the field, so not sure how much power it needs to solve. I'll test that out.