View Single Post
Old 11-04-2021, 09:38 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribodab View Post
When doing visual astronomy, lower power means brighter image, wider field, but less detail in image.

Magnification somewhat seems to bring out more detail and noticed it in the likes of the Orion Nebula.

I know in astrophotography, its always shorter focal length the better approach, because of being faster photography easier tracking, wider field, but the tradeoff maybe less detail and resolving power?

Would a longer focal length scope even though its slow photographically and harder to get good tracking allow more image detail?
The view with longer focal length would have a darker background which would help.

Longer focal length scopes are more affected by the seeing conditions than widefield.

As far as would it show more detail than a faster focal ratio scope? No I don't think so, its more determined by aperture and seeing. Also pixel size and sensitivity of the sensor being used.

The greatest detail I have achieved was with a CDK17 F6.8 (so not really a slow F ratio) with good seeing. It outperformed a 12 inch F3.8 scope but not massively but noticeably.

Planetary imagers use very long focal lengths and lucky imaging where thousands of video type files are captured and then sorted by sharpness due to seeing fluctuations.

Greg.