View Single Post
Old 07-05-2021, 07:53 AM
DeWynter (ILYA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Hi Guys I have done a clean out and found some Hard Drives that go back some 10 plus years and have no idea what is on them.

The question is this, if I unplug my existing Hard Drive on my Desk Top, and plug in one of these drives to see what is on them, would i do damage to the Computer.
Most likely you won't be able to connect a 10-years old drive to your desktop unless it's 10-years old as well. Old HDD most likely has an IDE connector and new ones have SATA ones. Even the formfactor is different, not talking about communication protocols.

If by any chance the old HDD has SATA connector then if you shut down your desktop, unplug the existing HDD and put the old one, then you won't damage your desktop. However, if you have only one drive in your desktop and unplug it then your desktop won't boot unless you plug HDD back.

My suggestion - if you haven't used these HDDs for 10 years then most likely you won't need them. Disassemble them and use blades as coasters. The also have nice strong magnets.