View Single Post
Old 06-09-2021, 08:14 AM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spleenus View Post
I was wondering why all of my recent planetary videos were just not playing ball and never seemed focused despite my best efforts.
Hi Darren,

You mentioned that your recent planetary videos have had focus issues: Suggesting that perhaps previous videos were OK? If so, what has changed? A new Bahtinov mask? Another remote possibility - is the Bahtinov mask OK, any damage, scrapes etc? Were you previously focusing without a mask and now with? etc....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spleenus View Post
Does anyone have any different ideas on what may be wrong or has come across this before?
It may be some coma &/or astigmatism seen through the Bahtinov mask &/or some collimation issues. Any bumps/jolts or falls for the scope lately? What does the star look like without the mask? Is it perfectly symmetrical? Is the star you used in the centre of the frame / on the optical axis? It might be telling to compare the same test you have done, with a star at the centre (on axis) and one towards the edge of the frame. That would help to rule in or out coma/astigmatism issues and point you towards collimation issues.

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 06-09-2021 at 08:29 AM.