View Single Post
Old 06-09-2021, 08:04 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spleenus View Post
It appears I have come across an issue which I cannot seem to find on the internet. I was wondering why all of my recent planetary videos were just not playing ball and never seemed focused despite my best efforts. So tonight I defocused on a star and noticed it appeared a little unsymmetrical.

Then I put on my trusty bahtinov mask and I found the following issue. This mask I have used before and it has not given me this issue before. These are shown in the attached pictures. Even more frustrating was it appeared to be one of those fantastic nights too!

Two of the pictures are when I got as close to focus as I could (i.e the lines intersected as best they could). But it appears that one of the lines is curved in the wrong direction. This also leans me to think the collimation has gone.

The telescope is a 150mm Saxon Maksutov - so the information out there is limited Maybe it's because I ordered a nice 9.25 EdgeHD which is on it's way and it just isn't happy!

Does anyone have any different ideas on what may be wrong or has come across this before?
It would probably be more informative to see some inside-outside focus star images. That’s where collimation issues would be clearer.