View Single Post
Old 20-04-2012, 06:15 PM
lepton3 (Ivan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Very nice sketch Ivan.
Thank you Paddy, it's nice to get encouragement when you sort of "put yourself out there".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental4astro View Post
Hey Ivan,

Still got that sketch from when you were 9?

Mate, good sketch. Good idea to work from a photo to get the juices running. No time pressures, comfortable, and no dew. You can practice with different media and techniques that way too. I do it myself.
Charcoal is also very good. More technique sensitive, but even more forgiving than graphite. Charcoal comes in black and white. White pastel pencils are probably a better pencil than the white charcoal. You can use these with a blending stump to blend out the tooth of the paper if you like to work with its texture to your advantage.

Mental.
Thanks for the tips Alexander. I don't still have those old sketches (there were some watercolours too), but never mind. I'll be keeping these, hopefully to track progress.

This was the first time I have used a blending stump, and I think it is a technique I will seek to improve with.

I'm going to try charcoal pencils next. I have three hardnesses. I'm already considering my next target. Maybe a close up of Petavius, if I can get an image with the lighting right? It's pretty close to the limb.

-Ivan