View Single Post
Old 17-12-2005, 05:51 PM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin
  • I am prepared to invest $6,000 for long term hardware. I am interested in viewing high quality DSO?s
  • I do not plan on astrophotography.
Ok off the top of my head, i am thinking your $$$ are putting you in the middle of no mans land.

$2499 for a 16" truss dob
$1000 for a dob driver from TECH2000 or Mel Bartels system
$1000 at the most for two top eyepieces or three very good ones
______
$4500

Or getting up around $7 - 10,000 you could get yourself into some serious equipment that a member Rumples Riot has just purchased.

I will not suggest an eq mount only because you are wanting setup quickly when driving out and back. plus you have no interest in astrophotography.

Having said that though, I would suggest allowing $500 for a toucam and modifications or some complete imaging packages. THere is nothing more pleasing than taking shots of what you see and showing friends and family.

I have just installed a Tech2000 dob driver on my 10" that tracks the stars and planets and incorporated into your laptop gives you a goto system.

keep coming back asking us questions, you will get lots of advice and you need to digest that an be 100% sure and happy you are buying something that will meet everything you are wanting to do over the next 10 years or so.

There is no perfect setup, each one's is different, so ask away and pick to pieces each setup and work out what's best for you.