Thread: Mouse Plague
View Single Post
Old 18-05-2021, 01:39 AM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi Glen, Steffen & All,

There are areas worse than where I live (15km SW of Canowindra), but it is very bad here at present. Between the dog and I we have dispatched maybe three dozen inside the house alone in the past six weeks. Double that counting the garage -- combined traps, caught and poison.

I have poison baits out for them outside and I can only estimate that at the rate the ratsak disappears, I must be killing hundreds -- I am going through a 1kg box of ratsak per fortnight. Thankfully it isn't very expensive.

Bunnings Cowra have ratsak by the pallet-load and it goes like hot-cakes. I live in an area where a lot of grain crops are grown (wheat, barley, canola & oats). The harvested and baled hay is being quickly destroyed. We have had a couple of very cool to cold nights in the past few days -- which is much needed. The frost in particular knocks the babies on the head and stops the breeding cycle.

I have seen mice plagues worse than this before but not had to actually live through one. It's rotten!

We also have a feral kitty problem in this area (have done for years) but there's only so many mice a cat can eat in a day!

Best,

L.