View Single Post
Old 03-10-2007, 10:46 PM
netwolf

Neither the best is to combine both. Long exposures bring out more signal, for example a very dim star maybe become more visible using longer exposure. However brighter stars will be over exposed. A short exposure will be good to get the bright stars and then you can add this using layers to the long exposure. Note this is only my opinion based on what I have read and seen and understood but its no based on any experience. A fine example as i pointed out in another thread is to consider Eric's latest image of the Orion Nebulae. By combing stacked short exposures with stacked longer exposures he got a balanced image of what is actually up there.

The problem is to take longer exposures requires better tracking precision.

It is not true to say that 10x10sec exposures = 1x100sec exposure. It also depends on the subject being photographed. There is a very good read on imaging in the General thread written by Phil (i think) which advises people to study your target and understadn what it is you capturing. The more you understand of the nature of what is up there the better you will become at capturing it.

Regards
Fahim