Thread: Eq6
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 11:56 PM
Ausrock (Chris)

Confusing isn't it .

I still haven't made complete sense of the EQ6 manual...........if you take notice of everything in it regarding alignment, you just about need a degree. Then you see advice like "level the mount, using a compass point it to true South and set the latitude correctly........there you go, all set".............sounds like common sense but too bloody simple, if that's all there is to it WTF is all the "hoo haa" about?

If you've got an EQ6 then you probabaly have the SynScan hand control which brings up "drift alignment" ..........you have to "teach" you're controller to kinda "recognise" it's part of the sky ......FFS, I thought this thing was supposed to help me learn about the stars, but no, I have to help it learn to help me learn...........go figure. That's right, drift alignment........get your scope to stay "locked" onto one star for a period of time then choose another star and do the same........YEAH RIGHT!!! THOSE TWINKLING LITTLE ****S KEEP MOVING...........by the time you're locked onto your second star everything has changed, don't believe me? Tell your mount to go back to the first choice star and see if it can find it.

It took me over 30 years to finally get a scope now I feel as though it's going to be another 30 years to get this figured out.

Did I mention it's confusing?