View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 08:28 AM
BMO (Hasen)
Blue Mountains Observator

Thanks for your time but I have been aware that Apogee will put any chip inside their models (didn't know FLI did).

The issue is obtaining a self-guiding CCD camera, which SBIG seems to have the "patent" for. I'm by no means a newbie (used to be here on another username but left that facility after 27 years) but I suppose my "gripe" is that there is not much of a selection with SBIG now, unless you want to go up to really big bucks, for a self-guided cameras anymore.

I'll just keeping trying to hunt for second hand SBIG ST-10XME or even a SBIG ST8-XME and hope one turns up.

I'm not going to spend the bucks on a STT-3200 or such like because basically because, I only have a 2" focuser and the flat plane of my reducer for the 'scope I want to put it on, only has a maximum diagonal of 17 mm. Being a SCT, I don't want to have to worry about guide scope deflection with a seperate guider either. It is not going on the old C14 I used to use, that had the "flopper stopper" mirror locks - the OTA I want this camera to be on, is my 12" LX-200 f/5 OTA Meade on a Losmandy mount.

We have other high end cameras on our 24" Planewave, 5" refractor and C14 hyperstar. I have used a ST-8, ST-9 and ST-10 on this very 'scope but those cameras were at a previous facility or on loan. I don't have them anymore.

Hasen.