View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 02:58 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinmlegg View Post
Hey Joe, yes it's been awhile since that Puno -> Cusco train ride. I see you've done a few eclipses since . I've been back to the altiplano a few times myself ...had a lasting impact on me!

Thanks for the light curve. I need to spend a few hours reading your site. Lots of interesting stuff there.

I'd love to see the eclipse in Cairns, but I've left my run a bit late so my only option now is to drive up and rough it in my troopie. Will decide this month. Like Geoff, my focus is wide angle and video/timelapse. Ideally I'd like to shoot from an elevated spot overlooking the ocean and preferably free of people. I have a fulldome fisheye and multi-camera system that can cover the entire sky. Any thoughts on where I could locate myself?

Colin
After Qosco, I spent another 3.5 months hobbling around the continent in that leg brace. Had a great time. After the knee reconstruction I went back to central and south America for another 4 months in 1998. As you say, easy to get hooked. Anyway - off topic!

Re-eclipse and fish-eye. Most beach sites have trees lining the beach. Because of the incoming tides and equipment type project like yours needs to be high up the beach where the trees will be covering half the sky and your FOV so you need a site off beach where you can see most of the sky. There is a lot of open ground by the road side in the areas 1km around the skyrail base station.

If you want something more secure where your gear won't be disturbed, I am setting up an observing site on a 40 acre farm near Port Douglas. Cost will be $50-60 per person and you can move in to set up anytime in the day or two before.

This site will have a lot of very experienced eclipse chasers, Astro club members and a Sydney Observatory Group and their web cast coming off it.

http://joe-cali.com/eclipses/PLANNIN...glas_Obs_Site/

You can camp there on Tuesday night at no extra charge however there are no facilities except portable toilets. However, while camping out the night of the eclipse or at least being out most of that night is unavoidable, I'd recommend against camping the whole time. It's oppressively hot and humid in November. When I was there mid-Nov 2010 it frequently rained at night and of course lots of insects. Really unpleasant!

I might be able to offer you some various options for better accommodation depending on your budget. Call me on 0429 233 616 if you are interested.

cheers

Joe